Sunday, January 24, 2010

Change Begets Change

With all the changes I've experienced over the past several months, I've noticed something happening to me that I didn't anticipate but can't deny. In changing my job, I made a change I had been looking to make for a long time. Once that happened, I've noticed desires to make other changes coming seemingly out of nowhere. For example, I had toyed around with the idea of removing email from my everyday means of communicating with people. But never gave the notion much of my time or attention. But a month ago, the idea popped back into my head, but with a new kind of energy. I hadn't gone through any processs where the idea went from mild interest to that of serious consideration, but somehow the idea took on that status as soon as it re-entered my mind on that particular day. I couldn't ignore it as the idea stayed with me and seemed more appealing (and even necessary) the more I allowed it to stay part of my consciousness. A week later, I took action on the idea, and was rewarded with an immediate sense of personal congruousness that hasn't subsided.
I have noticed another idea that has recently presented itself as one to be taken seriously. I've thought about it before, but no more than to merely imagine what my life would be like without eating meat. If you know me, then you know that vegans and I are on extreme opposite ends of a spectrum. To illustrate my point, I cite that I once ate nine hamburgers for lunch. I am not considering becoming vegan, however I find myself very seriously contemplating taking several significant strides from where I have lain on that spectrum. Rina has been receptive to the idea herself and would consider making the same dietary changes I make, which I don't take for granted as it would be almost impossible for me to make this change without her being affected.
I don't look to banish meat completely from my diet. I want to avoid eating meat that has come from slaughterhouses and into grocery stores. I am speaking of meat that is NOT wild caught. Buying a chunk of cow (or other animal) reminds me that this piece of meat I am looking to purchase (along with Cheerios, toilet paper, and mouthwash) is merely a product, not an animal belonging to an active species. My body probably utilizes the beef just the same, but I morally have gotten to the point where I can no longer overlook this fact and simply enjoy my hamburger or pork chop. Of course I feel for these animals and the inhumane treatment they endure, no matter how "organic" the conditions they are kept in. However, I don't just feel bad for these animals and the conditions they live in. To me, they are extinct. At this point, their species' have been reduced to products for humans. Cows, pigs, chickens, sheep, and others are merely shadows of what used to be species'. Humans have caused this, and it is our cross to bear. And I can't bear that cross while I'm trying to decide if I want two or three packages of hamburgers for my next cookout. At this point in time, I believe that the right thing for me to do is stop buying "product" meat. I want to come to terms with the damage we have caused these species', and taking this action I think will allow me to take a step toward doing so.
I find it funny that people are concerned with the blue whale becoming extinct. If we could easily tie off part of the ocean and use it as our own slaughterhouse where we could raise and then kill the whales for the products we can use them for, the ruling majority of human society would be perfectly fine with allowing the ones in the wild to vanish. They probably wouldn't even think of it. Disagree with me? Tell me where I can go to find a cow living in the wild.
Perhaps people have changed since cows went extinct. Perhaps people would be concerned enough with blue whales surviving naturally that I'm wrong about my previous statement. But if that is the case, a LOT more growing is necessary since we still enjoy reaping the "benefits" of killing off cows except as products. I'd rather see cows die out completely than survive merely out of their use as products in human society, and I think cows would agree.
I have no timetable yet for this decision to curb my meat consumption, but it is likely to be made. I probably will not stop eating meat when we are guests at dinner, and perhaps occasionally at restaurants. At least not at first. An appropriate and realistic place to start is by ceasing to purchase meat at grocery stores. I'll still purchase meat that is caught in the wild, which I gather will mostly be fish that are wild caught.
This blog entry really wasn't meant to be focusing this much on one aspect of change in my life. I want to get back to my point. Since I left the bowling alley, somehow, I feel that my life has a motion to it that hadn't been in quite some time. I hadn't realized it while I was still working there, but it seems that I am making up for lost time. I feel that I am growing, and at a rapid rate. I appreciate the support of those around me, and also any inconveniences my growth causes anyone (i.e. people that are used to emailing with me). And I am excited to see what further changes might come with this new growth!

No comments:

Post a Comment